This week, we were able to get a hold of clay, which is a form of art that I hadn't touched since my early days of middle school. It was fun getting back in touch, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Task 1 - Eyes Closed
For this task, we had to create an object in 5 minutes with our eyes closed. It was a fun exercise to be able to create something without one of the most important senses.
Title: Stuck Snake
This final product of the eyes closed exercise was a strange object, but it kind of fit what I was feeling when I had my eyes closed. I got kind of stuck, since I felt that the objects that I was making in my hands kept turning into the same object over, and over, and over again. So when I opened my eyes, I was kind of baffled I made this object. I called it "Stuck Snake" because I feel like I was the snake, and I got kind of stuck during this exercise, because I kept making the same shapes over and over again.
Task 2 - Translation from Music to Object
For this exercise, we listened to music, but we were able to create something that reflected the rhythm.
This piece is my interpretation of the music that we heard. The spiral at the side represents the omnipresent hum. The holes inside the 'bowl' are the beats and rhythm.
Task 3 - Igloo
For this task, we were given a choice to make either a car, or an igloo.
Task 4
For this assignment, we were given the task of creating an object that represented us.
This was the first object I created. The leech represented me, as I saw myself as leeching off my parents, while the flat, disgusting part that's drooling down from the leech represents my guilt towards my parents, as I decided to go an art school. Since this object was a bit too big to bring back home, and also back to school, I decided to go with something smaller, but still work with the same idea.
Title: Guilt House
This follows the same idea of the leech object, except I put it in a house setting. The reason why I chose a house, is because it's an exact portrayal of the common phrase "Don't judge a book by its cover." The house represents what people see, when they look at me, but when you turn it over, you'll see that the house is destroyed with lots of scratches and bumps, to show what guilt I carry. I would put this in an area where lots of art students gather, where they can just come across it and pick it up. The title would be there, and I would like to see what kind of personal emotions it could reflect for them, as I have heard that most artists garner the same emotion that I carry.









No comments:
Post a Comment