Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Week 1 (Automatic Writings and 2D~3D Paper)

In our first lesson, we were given the task of doing automatic writings. Although the task was simple, it's what we had to do afterwards that was difficult. We had to create out of nonsense.

(Above, the automatic writings.)

The automatic writing that I did were just lyrics to TV shows and my hunger for food at that time, but to create something out of this, pretty much stumped me.

I attempted to list words that would suit this passage best (below).

From this, I can make a minor plan for what I would create out of this.

Size: About 30x30cm.
Volume: Would have a large hole in the middle to fill it with stuff (eg; brownies)
Colour Sense: It would be a mixture of different colours, such as golden brown (to indicate nostalgia), pink (to indicate the strawberry cakes) and so on.
Where to put it: I would put it in front of a television screen that's showing old Cartoon Network shows.
Conditions of surroundings: The installation would be stuck to the television screen, so that the audience would have to look through the hole to see the old CN shows, but it would be obstructed by different things, such as brownies.
Steps of production: Not applicable yet, as no visual plan has been made.


The next automatic writing we did was to list objects. From the list, I listed out words such as, chair, headphones, but the one that stuck out to me the most was the word "dildo". I was probably running out of words by then, but as it was the strangest one of out of them, I made a mind map out of it.


This next picture is a picture that comes from my collection that, when I look back to when I collected these, I cringe. This, is a Kuroyukihime figurine...

You see, back when I was in my teenage years, I was very into anime. Too into anime, you could say. I would purchase these figurines and posters of anime girls and post them on my wall. Today, I cringe at the fact that I even did this. If I could, I would go back to the days of when I did collect these and just tell myself to stop. Just. Stop. Today, many of the figurines are gone, but some still remain just as a reminder of my darkest days as a weeaboo.

2D ~ 3D Paper

Title: Korean Teenager #18101995
Meaning: On the outer side, the paper looks normal and well folded, but as you go further down, you'll see that the paper is cramped and teared up, which I wanted to portray the disgust that I have on myself for making my parents worry by pursuing the career of an artist.


2D Paper







Title: Soul Gate
Meaning: The meaning is very straightforward. At the beginning, you see that the content of the soul is very empty, indicating that the pieces of the soul are missing, but as you go further down, the contents of the soul come back, but the door must close to contain the fragments of the soul. When I made this, I didn't want any deep meaning behind this. All I wanted to say through this was "Get your sh*t together." to myself, and anyone else who this might apply to.

3D Paper







Title: Two Face
Meaning: The piece, inspired by a certain Batman character, is about a face being constructed from scratch, very much like a baby's personality building up along with its life. However, a second face is put on top of the previous face, as the face has to put up another persona, to appeal to the rest of the world, but in the end, the second persona only destroys the person.

No comments:

Post a Comment